Friday, November 28, 2008

sad days

Well I posted the other day that we were told that the cancer has spread to my mom's brain. I saw the MRI photos and it does not look good. My mom has multiple areas of disease in her brain, it is already showing some signs in her memory and motor skills. I have to make a decision to do treatment or not. I will not do anymore chemo because it made her feel so bad. I want to keep my mom in as little pain as possible. The other option is radiation - which I am hesitant to go for. My brother does not want to do any more treatment, although he has had this opinion before we knew of the new spread to the brain. I have a tough decision ahead to make, I need to try and decide by Monday.

I had a meeting with a radiation dr. today, he thinks it is worth a try to go for radiation to extend her quality of life, essentially slow the growth of the tumors so she can retain some of her brain function.

I am so sad. I have never felt this kind of sadness in my life, it's overwhelming. My heart just aches. I love my mom so much and it is hard knowing she will not be around much longer. I just want to wake up from this nightmare and have her healthy and cancer free. I hate cancer, I pray everyday for a cure. I pray that no one else has to endure his horrible disease.

If no more treatment is given they give her 3-6 months to live. Our family is devastated.

7 comments:

Stefanie K. said...

I'm so, so sorry Stephanie...I cannot imagine your pain right now, and I'm thinking of you and your family so very constantly. My heart goes out to you. Again, I'm so very sorry.

~M~ said...

Your mom is in my thoughts. I'm so sorry to hear that there isn't better news. I'm sending many hugs your way.

Cassie said...

I am so, so sorry. I am literally crying, because I know exactly what you're going through. Exactly. I wish you'd gotten better news from the doctors. I'm keeping your family in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry, Stephanie. This is awful news and at such an awful time. You and your mom and your whole family have been in my thoughts and will continue to be. I wish there was a cure, too. I wish our parents could go from natural things, not these disgusting diseases.

My dad had radiation in 2007. If you have questions, you can e-mail me pattywolffe@gmail.com
but don't feel obligated, I know these are decisions your family has to make. Does your mom have any opinions or is she leaving it all up to you?

BIG big hugs!

SJS said...

I am so sorry to hear about the MRI results. I will keep you, your mom and your family in my prayers.

Mommy Moreno said...

i am so sorry. i am keeping you and your family in my prayers.

K @ Running Through Life said...

S, I am so sorry for this sad and terrible update. You, your mom, your baby, and your family are in my prayers. And I am right there with you....cancer sucks.

Just know that we are all thinking about you! Let us know if we can do anything for you.....