Saturday, December 27, 2008

My best friend Jessica

My best friend Jessica - who lives in North Carolina now, is from here and still has family here, her Mom being one of them. Her mom has been in poor health since we met 16 years ago. I got a voice mail from her yesterday to wish me a Merry Christmas, and she also told me her Mom is in the hospital again. Not just in any hospital department, but the ICU.

I just got off the phone with her and her Mom is not doing well, she is having liver and kidney failure and just had a heart attack. On top of this she is on oxygen, not a respirator yet, but getting a lot of oxygen support from a mask. I am worried about her, I pray she does not have to endure the loss of her Mom on top of losing my Mom this month already.

My best friend just flew out to be with me the day after my Mom died and stayed for 5 days with me to help me out. Jessica lived with my Mom and I for a year, and my Mom thought of Jessica as a second daughter.

Luckily she saw her Mom for an entire afternoon when she was here, she has been in a nursing home with broken bones. I am thankful she was able to spend some time with her before this happened.

Jessica is now making the decision to resuscitate her Mom if it is needed. She called to ask my advice, having just done this with my own Mom.

2 comments:

Cassie said...

It makes me so sad to hear this! I'm hurting for your friend -- and still for you. I know that Christmas must have been hard this year, but hopefully you were able to reminisce with your family about how much your mom blessed all of your lives. I'll keep Jessica and her mom (and you, of course) in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear this, I know it's not easy for anyone. I'll keep Jessica and her mother in my prayers.